Head of Mountain Biking (Full-time)
We have a great opportunity for a strong, outgoing senior leader to bring their skills to the Christchurch Adventure Park mountain bike crew. This role will lead everything mountain biking in the Park. Leading the team of bike instructors, supervising our retail shop including the mechanics workshop.
CAP is known locally and nationally for our outstanding mountain bike trails and experiences and is an area of significant growth for the business. We cater for beginners right through to advanced riders, as well as hosting international events and races.
We’re looking for someone with a strong background in outdoor education, and a thorough understanding of coaching and education principles. We need this person to be a fully qualified bike guide, with an in-depth knowledge of training and qualifications required to develop and deliver our strategic coaching programme.
Our Head of Mountain Biking is key to ensuring the Bike Guides and Retail Crew deliver an outstanding guest experience in a safe, fun and memorable way. It’s essential that the successful candidate has customers at the heart of everything they do. We're looking for someone who has a great can-do attitude, ready to go the extra mile, leadership skills to motivate and drive the team, brings problem-solving skills, and has a warm and sociable personality.
A good understanding of bikes, the mechanics and workshop systems and processes is required. PHEC qualified preferred but not essential.
If you've got these skills and have a strong background in mountain biking we'd love to hear from you.
Duties (including but not limited to)
- Developing and delivering the strategic goals of the mountain biking coaching programme
- Leading a team of qualified bike guides to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
- Identifying and delivering on training and qualification requirements for team progression in the business.
- Legal compliance including Health and Safety systems and processes, including developing risk assessments and SOP’s. Ensuring they are adhered to, and annually reviewed.
- Working closely with other departments in the business.
- Overseeing the retail shop including running a busy mechanics workshop, ordering stock and working closely with suppliers.
- Maintaining a rental fleet of mountain bikes to a high standard and scheduling the turnover of new bikes seasonally.
- Over 3 years’ experience as a mountain bike coach and leading teams
- NZOIA Mountain Bike Level 2 Certification, IDP, PMBIA or equivalent.
- Excellent working knowledge of current New Zealand H&S practices and standards.
- Passionate about developing staff and delivering a top-class customer experience.
- At least 2 years retail supervisor experience
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and public holidays regularly.
Competitive rates and great perks when you become part of the CAP team.
Please send your CV and cover letter outlining how your skills, experience and approach are a great fit for CAP,